The healthcare in France is EXCELLENT and inexpensive compared to many other countries. Their response is usually quick, thorough, and highly competent. It is never fun to get sick or have an emergency, but rest assured if it occurs, France is one of the best places for that to happen!
There is no guarantee that any English will be spoken on any of these emergency and helpline telephone numbers. All numbers can be called free from fixed landline, public telephone or mobile cellular phone. All emergency numbers can be reached from pay phones, without the use of a phone card or money.
The caller must:
- State the location where assistance is needed;
- State their name and telephone number;
- State what happened, and if it is still happening;
- State how many people need help;
- State if there are weapons involved.
Other useful Numbers
The French ER Services
There is always a qualified doctor is on hand to determine the most suitable response to a call and implement it. This may involve giving the caller information or advice, or sending the appropriate emergency vehicle:
- an ambulance for a street accident or home emergency;
- a private ambulance;
- a mobile resuscitation or intensive care vehicle or medical helicopter.
Sapeurs-pompiers (firefighters and first rescue):
The sapeurs-pompiers are the firefighters of France, supervised and trained by the Ministry of the Interior (Ministère de l'Intérieur). Firefighting brigades work closely with SAMU and are trained and equipped to respond to fires, auto accidents and emergency medical situations.